The #1 misconception : “A Will must be written by a lawyer”.
The requirements of a valid Will are set out in the Wills Act and it is not a requirement that a Will must be drafted by a lawyer. The Law Society has indicated the same in their website:
In fact, anyone can write our own Will following the formalities and format provided in books, journeys or websites. The main concern is : What if our situation is slightly more complicated than what the template can offer? In this case, you need to speak to someone with some practical experience to provide you an opinion. Always seek advice when you are in doubt.
The other common misconceptions for not making a Will are :
1. I am not rich, I do not need to write a Will;
2. I am single, I do not need a Will;
3. I am still young, I do not need a Will;
4. It is expensive, I cannot afford;
5. It is complicated, I need to list all my assets on the Will.
For assistance, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org