A Will will ensures that all your assets, no matter how abundant or how modest, are properly distributed according to your wishes after your death.If you are aware of the Pitfalls of Intestacy laws, you would want to get your Will written the soonest.
What if you don’t have an estate plan?
Reference to Session 7 of Intestate Succession Act– 9 Rules stating the situations and its corresponding Asset Distribution. It states as follow :
Rule/Situation – Asset Distribution :
1. Surviving spouse, no issue, no parent
– Spouse : 100%
2. Surviving spouse and issues
– Spouse : 50%
3. Surviving spouse and issues
– Issues : 50%
4. Surviving spouse and parents
– Spouse : 50%, Parents : 50%
5. No spouse, no issue
– Parents : 100%
6. No surviving parent
– Siblings : 100%
7. No surviving parent, sibling
– Grandparents : 100%
8. No surviving parent, sibling, grandparent
– Uncles & aunts : 100%
9. No next-of-kin
– Government : 100%
The distribution of property of a deceased Muslim domiciled in Singapore at the time of death is governed by Muslim law and the Syariah Court.